It’s the end of January and February is almost upon us. That means the stores have been filled with Valentines crap since December 26th. No matter how hard you try to avoid it, those chocolates and frilly cards are EVERYWHERE.

(Funny story…when I worked at a supermarket in the 90’s, there were several people, not me of course, who would smash all the heart shaped lollipops then eat the smashed pieces. There’s a metaphor in there somewhere.)

On February 14th, I always find myself scrolling through my Facebook feed, rolling my eyes at all the happy, sappy, lovey dovey posts and being forced to respond by posting all the “love sucks” songs I can find.

(Which, trust me isn’t hard. I estimate about 85%…no 90% of my music collection consists of “love sucks” songs. I don’t know how it happened. One day I took inventory and realized I owned an abundance of songs that paint love in a not so positive light.)

My friends are usually amused at this. Apparently it’s now expected. I have no idea where I got this reputation from!

So this year, I have decided to post one “love sucks” video per day for all 29 days of February. It’s a leap year so you get a bonus video. Expect some Pop, Metal, Country, New Wave and Goth. Lots of Goth! I’m a child of the 80’s, I can’t help it.

I call this: The Unhappy Valentine’s Day Project. I have only two rules for myself: the song must have a video and one video per artist. If I didn’t set that rule, it would be 29 days of Nine Inch Nails videos and my wallowing. And NOBODY wants that!

It will begin on February 1st at Noon. Today, I give you a freebie so you get the idea. This is going to be so much fun.

42 thoughts on “The Unhappy Valentine’s Day Project

1. LifeLoveLyme says:

Reblogged this on LifeLoveLyme and commented:
    Brilliant! I’m gonna love this newly discovered blog!

2. C.S. Wilde says:

That’s a cool idea!

1. Thanks. I’m always making playlists for friends so I figured I would just do a daily post here.

Liked by 1 person

3. tedgiffin says:

Great Plan! I am going to scour the love suck posts, for songs to cover.

1. Oh, you’ll find plenty here. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

4. plotless1 says:

You can always behead dolls of st. valentine. I’ll join you.

1. I never beheaded dolls but I used to have 2 very creepy doll heads. The kind you get from craft stores to make dolls.

No idea where I got them but I had to toss them. They really creeped me out.

1. plotless1 says:

I find dolls creepy overall. Aren’t their eyes dead looking…eeeek eeeek

2. Try looking at a disembodied one!!!

5. You make me cry. Actually, that’s a good thing. I’ve been soulless for so long, when it’s not February, you know.

1. I’ve been there. That’s where all these love sucks songs come from.

Liked by 1 person