16 Feb [Babble] My Not-Favorite Holiday
Apparently I was up to no good last Valentines too posting a Wallow List. Some of these songs are included in The Unhappy Valentines Day Project. They’re all awesome songs so please take a listen.
Originally posted 2/16/2015
So yesterday was Valentines Day. The Most Loathed of All Days for the Dating Impaired™. I slept until 2:00PM and then watched TV until I fell back to sleep. I couldn’t even muster up enough energy to post my favorite love sucks songs all over social media, as I have in the past. Wallowing can be extremely tiring, yo.
It can also be cathartic. So here I give you my favorite songs to be all weepy and gothy to.
(Notice I did not say Emo. I do not get all “emo”. Emo is about hating everything; where Goth is about finding beauty in the dark.)
(Emo is not cool!)
(EMO = GOTH with less creativity and a bad haircut.)
I also have a list of anti-love songs but that’s for another post.
So if the mere thought of Valentines Day makes you stay in bed with the covers pulled up over your head, I give you these songs to help get all those yucky feelings out. All of these have been on repeat at one time or another. I’m something of a Professional Wallower if you can’t tell.
And sometimes it helps to know that you are not alone. And remember when wallowing:
Nine Inch Nails = Good
My Chemical Romance = Bad
All the titles are linked to a video. If you aren’t familiar with the song, take a listen. You never know; you may find your favorite new song in the whole entire world.
1. And All That Could Have Been – Nine Inch Nails: “all these pieces, and promises and left behinds, if only I could see, in my nothing, you meant everything to me” *sniff* *sniff* I wish someone would write a song like this about me!
2. The Great Below – Nine Inch Nails: (I promise, this is the last NIN song on the list) “I descend from grace, in arms of undertow, I will take my place, in the great below” I want this song played at my funeral. Yes, I have a funeral theme song. Doesn’t everyone?
3. Baker Baker – Tori Amos: “baker baker, baking a cake, make me a day, make me whole again, and I wonder, what’s in a day, what’s in your cake this time” Just Beautiful!
4. Love Will Tear Us Apart – Joy Division: “why is the bedroom so cold, turned away on your side, is my timing that flawed, our respect runs so dry” Believe me when I say this song helps after a breakup! It always helps when someone else knows exactly how you feel!
5. Only Happy When It Rains – Garbage: “you know I love it when the news is bad, and why it feels so good to feel so sad, I’m only happy when it rains” Sing this at the top of your lungs. It works. *Sigh* I wish I was Shirley Manson.
6. Beloved – VNV Nation: “My beloved, do you know, how many times I stared at clouds, thinking that I saw you there, these are feelings that do not pass so easily, I can’t forget what we claimed was ours” Sooooo beautifully heart wrenching. Dancing to this helps a lot.
7. Full Of Grace – Sarah McLachlan: “it’s just that we stayed too long, in the same old sickly skin, I’m pulled down by the undertow, I never thought I could feel so low” Remember when Buffy had to kill Angel *sniff* before he destroyed the world and she was so heartbroken that she had to leave Sunnydale *sob* and this song was playing as the bus left… Oops! Sorry I go off on tangents sometimes.
8. Damaged – Assemblage 23: “there is beauty in hardship, there are poems in grief, there are trials we must go through, though they may shake our beliefs” This line says it all.
9. Save Yourself – Stabbing Westward: “I am not your savior, I am just as f*ck’d as you” Best. Line. Ever.
10. Enjoy The Silence – Depeche Mode: “vows are spoken, to be broken, feelings are intense, words are trivial, pleasures remain, so does the pain” This or any DM song will do. Everyone loves Depeche Mode they just don’t know it yet. 🙂
11. How Soon Is Now? – The Smiths: “I am human and I need to be loved, just like everybody else does” Yes, this is the theme from Charmed. But by Love Spit Love. (The superior version IMHO.)
12. Heartache – Gene Loves Jezebel: “they say a little bit of heartache, a little bit of heartache never hurt anyone, how come I’m crying over you” It’s true, a little bit of heartache never hurt anyone! Remember that when wallowing!!!!!!!!
13. Black – Pearl Jam: “and now my bitter hands chafe beneath the clouds , of what was everything, the pictures have all been washed in black, tattooed everything” PLAY. REPEAT. PLAY. REPEAT.